How We Present
A very happy birthday to Katy Perry
by Linda Mainquist
www.TM.org/blog Translate This Article
25 October 2012
For her birthday, Katy Perry tweets fans to support the Transcendental Meditation technique for school kids and veterans: https://twitter.com/katyperry
Katy Perry says that the Transcendental Meditation program changed her life and, for her October 25 birthday, she is asking her fans to donate to the David Lynch Foundation, a US-based charity that provides full funding for TM instruction for inner-city school kids and veterans suffering from the traumatic stress of combat.*
In a tweet to her 27 million Twitter followers, Perry writes:
''Transcendental Meditation changed my life. For my birthday I would love to pay it forward. In lieu of gifts, donate to www.davidlynchfoundation.org/katyperry.''
Perry joins a growing number of celebrities who practice the TM technique, including Oprah Winfrey, Ellen DeGeneres, Dr. Mehmet Oz, Russell Simmons, Jerry Seinfeld, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Martin Scorsese, Clint Eastwood, Cheryl Crow, Moby, Ben Harper, and Laura Dern.
On the David Lynch Foundation donation web page, Perry writes about her support for TM:
''I have been meditating for two years now, and it's the best thing I have ever done to help bring more creativity, positive energy and peace to my life. When I'm tired, stressed, anxious or depressed, I meditate, and it clears my mind, and makes me feel relaxed and happier. I have shared the meditation experience with my friends, and recommend it to everyone I know.
''I support the David Lynch Foundation because it brings Transcendental Meditation to millions of adults and children all over the world who suffer from post-traumatic stress, such as veterans, inner-city school kids, and women and girls who are victims of violence.
''Please help me celebrate my birthday by making a donation to DLF. Your donation is not only special to me, but to all of the people whose lives you will help through the lifelong gift of meditation.''
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Katheryn Elizabeth Hudson, known by her stage name Katy Perry, is an American singer, songwriter, and actress. Perry grew up around gospel music and later developed a unique style for popular music which today has made her one of the leading female vocalists in the world.
Katy is the only artist to spend over 52 consecutive weeks in the top ten of the Billboard Hot 100. She has been nominated for eight Grammy Awards, including Album of the Year (Teenage Dream) and Record of the Year (''Firework''). She has sold almost 80 million digital tracks and 11 million albums worldwide.
Click here to view a 5-minute video with highlights of the David Lynch Foundation's programs.
* In addition to Transcendental Meditation programs for schoolchildren, veterans, women and girls, prison inmates, the homeless, American Indians and other indigenous peoples around the globe, a new outreach of the David Lynch Foundation recently began, focused on African PTSD relief. The David Lynch Foundation was also inaugurated in the UK in May.
1. Clint Eastwood, Dr. Mehmet Oz, Katy Perry, Russell Simmons, Donna Karan, Russell Brand—coming together to support the David Lynch Foundation
2. Howard Stern and David Letterman discuss TM
3. Legendary directors mobilize to bring Transcendental Meditation to veterans – Wall St. Journal
4. Martin Scorsese on his TM practice: ''It's made a difference''
5. Russell Brand finds TM helps deal with the stress of celebrity
© Copyright 2012 Maharishi Foundation USA
Translation software is not perfect; however if you would like to try it, you can translate this page using: