How We Present
Paul McCartney to headline benefit concert for David Lynch Foundation, Radio City Music Hall - Saturday, 4 April
David Lynch Foundation Translate This Article
8 March 2009
To be joined by special guests Ringo Starr, Sheryl Crow, Donovan, Eddie Vedder, Ben Harper, Moby, Paul Horn, Bettye LaVette, and Jim James
Tickets go on sale Monday, March 9, 11 a.m. through ticketmaster.com
Paul McCartney and special guests Ringo Starr, Sheryl Crow, Donovan, Eddie Vedder, Ben Harper, Moby, Paul Horn, Bettye LaVette, and Jim James will perform at the David Lynch Foundation's benefit concert, ''Change Begins Within'' at Radio City Music Hall in New York on Saturday, April 4th, 7:30 p.m.
David Lynch, Russell Simmons, Laura Dern, and other surprise guests will fill out the star-studded slate as presenters.
Tickets will go on sale on Monday, March 9, at 11 a.m. through ticketmaster.com, or by calling 1-866-858-0008.
''Change Begins Within'' will raise funds to teach one million at-risk children to meditate—giving them life-long tools to overcome stress and violence and promote peace and success in their lives. In 1968, the Beatles, Donovan, and Paul Horn traveled to India to study Transcendental Meditation with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. The trip's dramatic impact was evident on their music and is credited for the acceptance of meditation in the West today.
Paul McCartney said his Transcendental Meditation practice has helped him personally over the past 40 years. ''In moments of madness, it has helped me find moments of serenity,'' Paul said. He added that he supports the work of the David Lynch Foundation to bring the technique to one million children for the same reason. ''I would like to think that it would help provide them a quiet haven in a not-so-quiet world.''
Ringo Starr expressed his personal satisfaction to be performing at the concert: ''It gives me great pleasure to be part of this evening. I feel the aims of this charity are wonderful!''
Donovan added: ''How great to be playing with Paul, Ringo, and Paul Horn again—as we did in India in 1968. And now we see the amazing results of our work from 40 years ago to bring meditation to the whole world. It's the same message today, which is, 'Change begins within.' ''
About the David Lynch Foundation
The David Lynch Foundation has provided scholarships since 2005 for more than 60,000 students, parents, and teachers to learn to meditate throughout the United States, Latin America, the Middle East, and Africa. The Foundation also funds independent university research on the effects of the Transcendental Meditation technique on stress, learning, and behavior. For more information visit DavidLynchFoundation.org.
National Institutes of Health
The NIH has awarded over $24 million during the past 20 years to investigate the effects of Transcendental Meditation on brain functioning and cardiovascular disease.
- Steel Belok, M.D., Internist, Harvard Medical School
- Gary Kaplan, M.D., Ph.D., Neurologist, New York University School of Medicine
- Noel Bairey Merz, M.D., Medical Director, Women's Heart Center, Cedar-Sinai Medical Center
- Otelio Randall, M.D., Medical Director, Preventive Cardiology Program, Howard University
- Norman Rosenthal, M.D., Psychiatrist; Medical Director, Capital Clinical Research Associates
- William Stixrud, Ph.D., Neuropsychologist; Director, William Stixrud &Associates
- David Haaga, Ph.D., Director, James Gray Psychotherapy Training Clinic, American University
- Rita Benn, Ph.D., Director of Education, University of Michigan Integrative Medicine
- Assistant Professor of Educational Psychology, University of Connecticut
- Vernon Barnes, Ph.D., Senior Researcher, Medical College of Georgia's Prevention Institute
- Frank Staggers, Jr., M.D., Drug Detoxification Specialist; Consultant, National Institutes of Health
- Robert Schneider, M.D., F.A.C.C., Director, NIH-funded Institute of Natural Medicine and Prevention
© Copyright 2009 Global Good News®
Global Good News comment:
For information about Maharishi's seven-point programme to create a healthy, happy, prosperous society, and a peaceful world, please visit: Global Financial Capital of New York.
Translation software is not perfect; however if you would like to try it, you can translate this page using: